Monday, June 2, 2014

Back to Reality

The end of July 2012 sadly marked the end of my time at UPP. Looking back, those 12 months went surprisingly fast but needless to say I will look back on it all with a degree of nostalgia. I could not have asked to spend a year of my life in a remote forest in Africa with cooler bunch of dudes. To Busoti, Msigwa, Shedrack, Mlela, Ndai and Joffrey I offer a heartfelt thank you for your endless diligence in the field, and patience whilst I consistently butchered your beautiful language. To Alex and Fiona, I express great gratitude for the opportunity to contribute towards all the great work being done by the Ugalla Primate Project and I wish you guys all the best with its continuation.

Sentimental photo 1: Alex, Msigwa, Shedrack, Fiona, Mlela, Joffrey, Simon, Ndai and Busoti
Sentimental photo 2: A rare moment of having both full time and part time UPP staff at camp with Samantha and Simon
Sentimental photo 3: Msigwa, Mlela and Myself at Gombe
As is probably obvious from the date stamp on this post, I am writing this nearly two years after having left the Issa forest and I'm pleased to say I maintain occasional contact with UPP's legendary staff and directors. The opportunities afforded to me by UPP have opened countless windows, through which I have navigated with the blundering luck of a goldfish, as I now find myself close to the finish line on my PhD. Crossing that imagined finish line will be the culmination of three years of hard work that began as a single email alerting me to a remote job opportunity. Since then, I've not looked back and it finally looks like the path ahead is starting to take a vague shape. I hope you enjoyed dipping in and out of my adventures and I hope you stay tuned for more to come in my spin off show 'occasional shenanigans of a zoologist/climber'!


Sentimental photo 4: Msigwa, Shedrack, Me and Busoti






No comments:

Post a Comment