Wednesday, August 31, 2011

14th August


So on the 11th I got kicked out of my tent to make room for a group of post grad students who were sent from the institute that fund the research here. So I have not slept in my bed since the 10th. Tomorrow night I get to move back in though and I cant wait – Ive been dreaming of my bamboo bed!
Yesterday me and Simon sighted a small group of red colobus which have only been sighted in this area a handful of times in the last 5 years or so. This was therefore a very fortunate moment for us and even more so for I got some clear pics of them!
A Central African Red colobus

Steven, the office's very own red headed Agama! (what a poser)

Today I have the day off so I aim to walk the 40 minutes to the random hill where you get phone signal so I can get onto the internet (using my dongle) and post this blog!
On the 12th some of the guys found some very very fresh feaces of a leopard. Poo is quite exciting for us out here for a number of reasons: Tells you what the animal eats, where it was, when it was there and in the case of the chimps we can get DNA! A surprising amount can be told from shit.
I am still struggling with the language as I have recently not really had the chance to hit the books – or I have but have been to tired to be bothered…

No comments:

Post a Comment