Wednesday, September 14, 2011

05/08/11

Yesterday a common dieker of whom must have been a very confused individual decided to come and investigate me and Busoti. Originally we made a noise that sent him running, but then he returned as if to check to see if his suspicion was justified! We stayed very still and he ended up coming within 15 meters of us! This is unheard of. Needless to say it enabled a few good pics of an animal that usually offers no more than an arse disappearing into the thicket.
A very confused Insha

 Today was equally entertaining for me as I have at long last found myself a Boomslang! All be it was only a juvenile. These snakes are poisonous, their venom is capable of killing you in 2-5 days! Now that is badass. That being said they are very un aggressive and will always attempt to evade you (there have been only a small handful of bite incidents) plus their fangs are backward facing making it harder for them to bite a human arm or leg. Isn’t he beautiful though! Another much larger male boomslang was seen on the tree outside the office but a week ago. Sadly I was out in the field so I missed the occasion. Needless to say I was very disappointed and I spent a large portion of that evening studying the same tree and the surrounding trees in the hope of seeing it! (to no avail)
A boomslang!

I think I managed to fix my dongle in Kigoma (it only needed credit) so I hope to go to the tower to post this on the 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment