Wednesday, September 14, 2011

10/08/11

So as of two weeks ago my incompetence with Swahili became more than I could bare. I have since found my self hitting the books for an hour every night. It has already made a huge difference. I feel I now understand the basics of the language (e.g. tenses, essential verbs etc) which is making subsequent learning all the easier and fluid. Believe it or not I quite enjoy learning the language. Never thought I’d say that!
On a very different note I saw two more red colobus the day before yesterday (likely to be the same pair as the first time). This time the experience was much better and lasted longer. We spotted them in open canopy from the dry river bed. I then followed them and managed to stand myself under the tree they were in. This however was not much to their liking and they proceeded to jump from tree to tree above my head. It was a fantastic display of agility and sent twigs and figs raining happily down on my head! After they had calmed down again I managed to find one of them before he’d seen me. As I was taking pictures he noticed something was not all as it should be and crouching, he looked in my direction, moving his head from left to right. I tell you, I thought I was fairly well hidden, these animals certainly have a sixth sense we could never understand. He finally decided that what he saw (or smelt..) was not of his liking and bounded gracefully away. In the mean time I got some half decent photos, this time of the full face profile.

male Red colobus trying to decide just how good looking I am

As I write this the sun is setting on the far side of the valley to the West, a sight plainly viewed from our perfectly located “office”!

No comments:

Post a Comment