Tuesday, November 1, 2011

30/10/11

On the way back from work I checked the same tree I saw the monitor in a while back with Simon. The one that eluded me by a hairs breadth when I tried to catch it. As a result I always check this tree when I walk past it and it is never there, never until this evening that is! Excitedly I climbed the tree and got into position to catch it.. However, it woke up, took one look at me and then jumped into the river below. FRICKIN bummer. Anway, later I went back down the river for my evening scrub and decided to check the tree again on my way. Ah, it came back! Brilliant, this time I would be prepared. I brought a sheet down from my tent and soaked it in the water making it nice and heavy. Then I got Msigwa to climb the tree and scare it. As predicted it jumped exactly where I thought it would where I was waiting with an outstretched sheet in which it dropped like a sack of wriggling shit. Ha finally caught the little bugger. He is a Nile Monitor juvenile, probably about a year old, they do grow much much bigger than this. He was quite vicious as well so I can only imagine what an adult would be like! Very sharp claws…


Me and my monitor

Nile monitor lizard

No comments:

Post a Comment