Wednesday, February 1, 2012

28th Jan



Ok – 2 days later and ive worked up the will power to continue. I should say that the reason the parking break got left on is that I’m currently teaching one of the guys (Shed) how to drive. Thankfully not from scratch. He’s had proper lessons in an old landrover where he rotated with 9 other students over a 90 min period. His theory is sound, he just needs practice and the occasional warning that edge of the road is getting a bit close..

On the 10th of Dec my Mum, Jules and Jonty came out to visit me. I’d like to think they came to see me anyway, if I was living in some crummy suburb in Poland it may have been a different story. Thankfully we’ll never find out. It was great to see them all. Jonty in particular (3 year old brother), he’s grown lots and his diction is now good enough to express how awesome his big brother is. They flew into Kilimanjaro airport, a half hour outside of Arusha. We then had a day to kill in the city before heading West. Somehow I managed to convince them that that day was best spent at a place called Meserani Snake park. God knows how I managed that. It was awesome. Going to a snake park in Africa really does make you realise how boring Health and Safety makes life in the UK e.g. On jokingly asking the guide if I could pick up one of the younger crocodiles he said “yeh sure” and promptly showed me how, next thing I know im holding a wriggling foot long croc. Mum then insisted on holding the fella!



Me and Mum holding our Nile Crocs

Jonty and a Sand snake - definately my brother

Rufous beaked snake - im not stoned btw

12th of Dec and it was time to depart Arusha for the splendid 2 day car journey back my home town of Kigoma. The journey went pretty well considering the length and quality of the roads, bar one minor incident of me nearly painting the road with a dog. Fearless bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment